1 Cup Cake Flour (120g)
1/2 + 2 tablespoons Cup Granulated Sugar Tablespoons (125g)
+2 Tablespoons Granulated Sugar(25g)
5 ml Baking Powder (5g)
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1/4 cup Vegetable Oil (60ml)
4 Egg Yolks Large (72g)
6 Egg Whites Large(180g)
¼ teaspoon Cream of Tartar 1.25ml
1 teaspoon Vanille Extract 5ml
1/3 cup Strawberry Puree 80ml
food colouring – optional
- In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, salt, baking powder and whisk to distribute all the ingredients evenly.
- Combine the oil, egg yolks, the first measure of sugar (½ cup + 2 tablespoons) and the vanilla extract and strawberry puree and whisk smooth.
- Add that egg yolk and oil mixture to the dry ingredients and whisk vigorously to combine well to a smooth batter.
- In a mixer bowl with the whip attachment, whip the egg whites and cream of tartar on high speed until frothy. Once it starts to gain volume and strength (it will get whiter and thicker) add in the remaining 2 Tablespoons of sugar very slowly and continue whipping to medium peaks.
- Fold ⅓ of the meringue into the batter to lighten, then fold in the remaining meringue gently.
- Pour into Un-greased but parchment paper lined cake pans (or un-greased tube pan) and bake in preheated 325°F oven for approximately 35 minutes or when toothpick inserted comes out with moist crumbs
- Cool to warm and then remove from pans to cool the rest of the way