2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
170g Butter or Lard
90ml cold water
450g Ground Beef
200g Ground Pork
1 small Onion
1 clove Garlic
1 large Potato
1 sprig of Thyme
1/4 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Cloves
1/4 tsp Nutmeg
2.5 ml Pepper
Preheat the oven to 400ºF
- In a large bowl, combine the flour and salt. Cut the butter into small cubes and rub into the flour with you finger tips. Add the water and roughly mix the ingredients together. Do not over handle the dough. Press the dough together into a flat disc and refrigerate for a hour.
- Cube and cook the potatoes and carrots in a pot. Drain the potatoes and reserve half a cup of the cooking water. Mash the potatoes and set them aside.
- In a skillet, cook the onion, garlic , spices and meat over medium heat, until done.
- Add the reserved water and continue cooking until the water has been absorbed.
- Add the mashed potatoes and set aside to cool completely.
- On a lightly floured work surface, divide the dough into 2 pieces, one being a bit smaller than the other. Roll the large piece out big enough to line a 9” pie shell.
- Prick the bottom of the pie shell with a fork.
- Fill the pie shell with the meat.
- Beat a egg to make a egg wash
- Brush the outer edge of the pastry with a pastry brush using the egg wash
- Roll out the remaining pastry and place this disc onto of the meat.
- Crimp the edges and brush the top with egg wash. Poke or cut some vent holes in the top of the Tourtiere.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown.