Set oven to 230C
250ml All purpose flour
125g Butter (cut into 1 cm blocks)
5ml Sugar (for sweet pastry)
4 Large eggs ( may need more)
- Sift flour into a mixing bowl.
- Put water, butter, salt and sugar in to a medium sized saucepan.
- Bring slowly to a boil (the butter must be melted before it boils).
- Immediately remove from heat, tip the flour into the pot all at once.
- Stir vigorously with a wood spatula.
- Remove from the heat and let it cool a little.
- Beat the eggs together with a fork.
- Add the egg a little at a time to the dough, beat after each addition until thoroughly incorporated.
- Do not add all the egg unless necessary
- The dough is right when it is shiny as satin and holds its shape on a spoon
- Use warm
Fit a pastry bag with a open star or round pastry tip
Pipe 15cm bone shapes onto a baking tray
Bake in a hot oven 230 C for 10 min (this is so that the pastry will quickly puff up) then reduce the temperature to 180 C and bake for an additional 20 – 25 min.
Bake for a total of 30 -35 minutes or until golden brown
Turn the oven off and leave the pastries in the oven for a further 20 minutes with the door slightly open. This will ensure that the pastries are thoroughly dried out.
All well cooked shell will be golden brown, firm to the touch and feel light in the hand.