45ml olive oil
3 medium onions, chopped
5 tablespoons peeled grated fresh gingerroot
1,5kg carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
5 cups water
4 cups milk
2 cubes chicken or vegetable stock
5ml black pepper
2 bay leaves
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan or pot over medium heat.
- Add onions and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add gingerroot, cinnamon and bay-leaves and cook for 2 minutes longer.
- Add the 5 cups water, salt, pepper, bay leaves and the stock cubes to the onions. Heat until it is boiling over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer carrots until tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Use a blender to blend carrot mixture, in batches, until smooth.
- Add more salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat soup over low heat until hot.
- Ladle into bowls and serve.