- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup granulated or brown sugar
- 5ml vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 5 ml baking soda
- 25ml baking powder
- 5ml ground cinnamon
- 1 cup shredded, unpeeled zucchini (1 small to medium)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Preheat the oven to 325°F; lightly grease a standard 8 1/2″ by 4 1/2″ loaf pan, or line it with parchment paper. In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs, oil, molasses, sugar, and vanilla until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet mixture.
- Stir in the zucchini, raisins and walnuts.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes, until the loaf tests done (a wooden tester inserted in the center will come out clean). Remove the bread from the oven, and place on a rack to cool for 20 minutes before removing from the pan and returning to the rack to cool comp
45ml olive oil
3 medium onions, chopped
5 tablespoons peeled grated fresh gingeroot
1,5kg carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
5 cups water
4 cups milk
2 cubes chicken or vegetable stock
5ml black pepper
2 bay leaves
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan or pot over medium heat.
- Add onions and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add gingerroot, cinnamon and bay-leaves and cook for 2 minutes longer.
- Add the 5 cups water, salt, pepper, bay leaves and the stock cubes to the onions. Heat until it is boiling over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer carrots until tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Use a blender to blend carrot mixture, in batches, until smooth.
- Add more salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat soup over low heat until hot.
- Ladle into bowls and serve.
Ingredients for meatballs:
500g ground beef
5ml onion salt
5ml sea salt
5ml ground pepper
Mix all the ground meat, brad crumbs and spices together. Roll meat into 1” balls.
Heat a frying pan to med – high heat and fry the balls till they are golden brown in colour and cooked throughout.
Sweet sour sauce:
recipe makes 2 cups
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 30ml tomato paste
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2.5ml chili powder
Place the sugar, vinegar, water, soy sauce, ketchup and cornstarch in a medium saucepan, and bring to a boil. Stir continuously until the mixture has thickened.
Serve meat balls with rice and pour the sauce over the meatballs. Use as little or as much of the sauce as you like and keep the rest refrigerated.
- 4 chicken breasts
- herbs of your choice
- 80g goat cheese (20g per chicken breast)
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 5ml salt
- 5ml chilli
- 1 egg beaten
- 125ml seasoned breadcrumbs
- 30ml oil
- Cut the Feta cheese into slices that will fit into the cavity of the chicken breast
- Cut a slit in the chicken so that you can stuff the cavity with the goat cheese and sundried tomatoes
- Secure the slit with a toothpick or skewer if necessary
- Add the salt to the flour
- Dust the chicken breast with the flour and set aside
- Pour the oil into the frying pan and heat the oil until hot but not smoking
- Fry the breast on med – high heat until cooked throughout
- It is important to cook chicken till done to prevent food borne illness caused by Salmonella
Seasoned Bread crumbs:
2.5ml sea salt
2.5ml onion salt
2.5ml ground black pepper
Dried herbs (optional)
- 250g couscous
- 500ml boiling water
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 5ml teaspoon smoked paprika
- 5ml sea salt
- 5ml freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 medium cucumber
- ½ medium carrot or 1 tomatoes (optional)
- 5ml red chili powder or cayenne pepper
- 1/2 bunch of fresh mint, leaves (if available)
- a few springs of fresh coriander leaves
- 1/2 bunch of fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 un-waxed lemon, zest and juice
Place the couscous, cumin, paprika and salt into a bowl. Stir to combine, pour over just enough boiling water to cover the couscous. Loosen with a fork. Cover the bowl and leave for about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile finely chop the onion, cucumber. Julienne carrot. Cut the carrot in 1 cm cubes. Finely chop the mint and coriander leaves, and the parsley (including the stalks).
Mix the tomato paste, lemon juice and oil into a smooth dressing
Mix the couscous up with a fork then pour the dressing over and mix thoroughly